Friday, May 7, 2010

Womans Worth - All Texture No Lecture

i met Matt Grothman, sax player of Womans Worth, about 8 years ago while i was living in LA. We were both studying recording at Musician's Institute and bonded quickly over such things like the fact that the only prior recording experience both of us had was on a 4-track cassette deck. Matt sort of took me under his wing for the time we were in school together. i was a naive 18 year old "punk" at the time and Matt played me music that i had never been exposed to before. Some of these albums ended up being my favorites till this day ("One Foot In The Grave" by Beck, "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," Sonic Youth's "Sister" just to name a few). He also took me to shows at The Smell which, at that time, was still a relatively little known space to the masses of greater Los Angeles. Matt took me to my first ever underground "loft show" consisting of Joan of Arc, Hella, and The Wives. Matt played with The Wives on and off while they were a band and before Dean and Randy went on to start No Age. That one show changed my perspective on music for the rest of my life and i owe a debt of gratitude to Matt for bringing me in to that realm. This album by Womans Worth is a no frills hardcore free-jazz freakout. This is some serious next-level shit here using drums, trumpet, and sax. It was really amazing to see these guys play live in Denver a few years back and they have since disbanded. The trumpet player went on to start a band called High Castle. i lost the cover to this CD-R long ago so the picture is just a live photo. So much for No Lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment